Sunday, January 23, 2011

Singing Lunch Meats

So, one day this week while I was sitting at home trying to listen to music… the phone rang! Slightly annoyed I went to the phone, checked that caller ID and saw that it was HAM calling me… ham? Ham? As in the Lunch Meat?? Why is a lunch meat calling me? Ooo does this mean that whoever is calling is going to start singing songs to me about lunch??? :D
            Being very excited about this thought, I forgot the initial irritation of having to leave my music and distorted thoughts to answer the phone. I answered with an excited.
‘Hello?’
“hi… Mrs. S?”
‘no sorry, I’m not her’
“oh, so your Brittany?” [Brittany being the name of my older sister…]
He said this excitedly.. so I was a little down hearted thinking that the glorious songs of lunch were no for me…
‘nope, I’m Kim’
And then finding out who I was… started stuttering like a little school boy
“oooo… umm… I I I is yourrrr d da dd dad home?”
‘nope, but my mom should be home around 3:00 3:30’
“oo oo okay, I ii I’m goinnng to t tt talk about life insurance…”
‘ookay. Well you should call then, and they will be home J
“o o o okay, bbb bb byeee”
‘byee’

… Being highly disappointed that there were no songs about lunch or lunch meats like his name had promised, I went back to blasting music.

About 3:00 when I was working on a paper and listening to music HAM called back, still that instant hope of listening to lunch songs I answered the phone immediately picked up :D but my great aspirations were instantly crushed by the dial tones…
This happened a few times then I got noise instead but silence when I said ‘hello?’
Finally, on the 8th time I answered the phone I got this tinative
“h hhh heellow??”
Being very annoyed and more then frustrated I hung up the phone… not only had he interrupted my thoughts about this paper he did not sing songs about lunch to me…

                                    *later in the evening when I got home*  

HAM was sitting there. In my living room. Right there. I had just walked in from that Wednesdays activity.
            The moment I saw him: brown wavy hair, brown eyes, tall, calm voice, good posture, overall happy look to him, wedding band so married, nervous laugh when we saw me

I was hoping that he would stand and do this little dance and sing about how marvelous lunch really was, “the unappreciated meal” or something
            Much to my chagrin, he did not.
As I sat in the living room, to distracted to read my book, I started imagining all the different songs he could sing to me about lunch
    “LUUUUNCH! The meal between meals!!!” “how yummy in your tummy is a lunch that you can share a bunch” “a good lunch is a happy lunch” “a ham sandwich is the best sandwich”
            I could barely contain the mirth that I had within me thinking about these songs, as he left I told my mother about this… she laughed endlessly… and I think somehow he knew what we were giggling about as he was still on the porch and looked back at us with an embarrassed little awkward smile…

And then a turtle walked by.

No comments:

Post a Comment